xorg-x11- packaging prefix

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue May 9 02:09:46 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I've added an entry to
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines
>>
>> "Addon Packages (x11 drivers)"
>
> No offense, but I removed it again. Changes to these kind of documents
> are best (read "best" -- not "have to be") discussed with FESCo, on
> fedora-packaging and/or with spot, the original author and maintainer of
> this document and the Packaging Guidelines in general.
>
> BTW: Shortly before FC5 was released there was a irc-discussion
> regarding the package naming of the proprietary nvidia and fglrx
> drivers. It was on #fedora-extras (spot was involved in that discussion,
> too) -- the consensus was "use prefix xorg-x11-drv even for non-Xorg
> drivers". And that's what livna did for FC5 then.
>
> We should probably discuss this during the next FESCo-Meeting with spot.

I'm rather surprised about that.  I wasn't on such mailing lists, but
since I was the one who chose the naming, I'd have expected to have
at least been contacted by someone to determine what the package
naming rationale was.

Houston, we've lost communication!

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca