php deps on postgresql-libs?

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Thu May 11 13:03:34 UTC 2006

On 11-May-2006 12:51.07 (BST), Hans Kristian Rosbach wrote:
 > This is way overkill for my situation, but what really
 > makes me wonder is why php depends on postgresql-libs.
 > I thought I had to install php-pgsql for that...?

It's the apr-util package that requires postgresql-libs. A side effect of
php requiring httpd is that httpd requires apr and apr-util, which
brings in the other dependancies.

The debian php packages separate the apache 1.3, apache 2.x and CLI SAPI
modules into separate packages. Even if it's a WONTFIX, it shouldn't be
too much work to shift /usr/bin/php into a php-cli and the
/usr/lib/httpd/libphp4.so module into a php-apache package and turn the
'php' package into a metapackage to satisfy dependancies.

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xb35ff721 :: rob at choralone.org