Future Fedora Development

David david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Sun May 21 20:15:12 UTC 2006

Thanks for all the comments.  Just a few points and comments.

1. I would hasten to say that it was not my intent to directly compare
Linux with Vista I was really just trying to say look this is the
direction Vista is going in relation to hardware and my worry is that
Fedora would go likewise where the opportunity not to do so exists.  As
a result of the Vista upgrade there should be another glut of cheap
second hand hardware for me to run Linux on!!!!!!!!

2. Looking at the FC6 Future.  I found the following

Trim down core

Packages that provide duplicate functionality in Fedora Core, or that
aren't essential to a basic operating system, should move to Extras.

Several ideas exist around this:

    *

      Main distro down to 1 or 2 discs - its growing too much

    *

      Main distro down to 1 disk + 1 disk gnome, 1 kde, one java, 1
      other stuff

    *

      All stuff for personal install and the support for the most
      important languages (???) on the first two CDs. Big stuff like
      openoffice-lang-support for not that important langages only in
      extras?

To me this is bang on message.  My vote would be to have the initial
install go either one of two ways.

a. As previously mentioned design Anaconda to have hardware detection
built in and install accordingly.  I suppose the issue here might be
achieving 100% detection of hardware.
b. If it were possible move the main distro down to 1 disc per the
second option above and then YUM everything else.  This Im guessing
presupposes users have access to a reasonably fast internet connection
and some knowledge of thier requirements.

Would a third route perhaps be a live-distro CD boot from that and pull
requirements down via the internet?

Cheers