Heads-up: Requiring PAE for running Xen

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Mon May 22 16:03:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 18:39 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Well, you could have the desktop and laptop in a raid-1 over nbd with
> a write intent bitmap, so that only changed blocks are copied. Seems
> like everything is in place for that.

Yeah, that should work, but I wonder what you lose by doing it at
such a low level. For one, you need to have two identical partitions
on the laptop and desktop. Not a big deal I guess, but mildly
inconvenient. Second, you give up a bit of performance by working
on the block level, but this may be negligible. Third, you lose the
semantics of what's being changed, and this may be a problem when
you update both the laptop and the desktop.

CODA has a disconnected operation mode, but I've never used it
personally.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.