RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Mon May 22 18:22:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 14:15 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> What I'm actually a bit more curious about though, is just
> how many apps included with Fedora Core 6 will not work
> properly if core fonts has a limited default configuration
> out of the box.  ;o)
>
> It'd be an interesting test for someone to disable xfs, and
> to configure the X server to have only the "misc" font dir
> as a configured font path in xorg.conf, and then see what
> all apps no longer work.
>
> Second to that, many apps will work, but will probably look
> hideous, as they'll have a far reduced set of fonts to use
> with such a configuration.  It'd be interesting to see what
> apps totally break or otherwise become unuseable with such
> a setup.
>
> If anyone feels up to trying this, please post your results
> back to the list.

Not sure if this is something I want to tackle or not (then again, I
have reinstalled a few tiems and don't mind doing it again a time or two
if need to), but I might be willing to give it a shot.  You might need
to guide me a little as what to do (or create a step by step guide on
what to enable/disable so I/we do it correctly), so can make sure I/we
are doing a good test.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Sex is like air, it's not important unless you're not getting any!"