Heads-up: Requiring PAE for running Xen

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon May 22 18:00:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:51:26AM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 17:26 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 09:47:17AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > If personal bits matter, then I'd go for 3. I have no 32 bit machine
> > with >= 4GB, but quite a few 64 bits ones. And the toy machines I
> > would use to play with rawhide have no PAE. I guess whoever needs that
> > much memory also needs something like x86_64' in-chip memory
> > controller.
> >
> > (the only systems I've recently seen with large memories running on 32
> > bits were 64-bits platforms with Debian, due to Debian not supporting
> > multilib ...)
>
> Sadly, many people continue to run 32-bit distros even on brand new
> hardware due to dependencies on "other stuff"[1]
>
> Jeremy
>
> [1] Think flash and the endless going on about that in 64bit browsers,
> or on the even more painful side there are things which require kernel
> modules :-/

So it's Desktop x86_64 users vs us poor ia32-no-PAE laptops. ;)

Anyway, I think you should pick what will make development for you
easier/faster, which is probably more worth than any additional few
random community testers. Maybe I'll get the chance to upgrade my
laptop and then I'll make sure for the new one to be PAE-capable
(unless this means too much $$$, but it sounded like any new laptop is
supposed to have PAE).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net