Via Velocity minimum MTU size

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Tue May 23 01:34:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 19:51 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> can someone confirm that the proper way to alter MTU size is:
>
> ifconfig <interface> mtu <size>
> service network restart
>
> I can't get it to work unless I bounce the network service after making
> the MTU change.  I just need to know if that's normal.

Apologies for responding to my own post, but just to clarify, "ifconfig
eth0 mtu xxx" indeed changes mtu to xxx as displayed by the "ifconfig
eth0" command, but ICMP pings to anywhere are unresponsive until after I
bounce the network service.  That's what I need to confirm as either
correct or aberrant behavior.

Thanks.