Resource sharing for two users logged in locally simultaneously

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:59:49 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, Matthias Saou
> Got any more information about this? Seems like the bit I'm missing
> alright.

I believe its a topic of discussion in HAL's upstream development
list. Or cruise davidz's
blog entries about the bright shiny future of tomorrow where glossy
desktop UI is exposed for managing per-user/system-default policy via
the PolicyKit.

> Still this doesn't really address the issue of now having to edit
> console.perms, udev rules and this hal/dbus stuff in order to set
> device permissions to be correct in all possible cases.

No.. there is no 'good' solution 'now'.  I think what you are missing
on your fc5 setup is edits to the hal policy. If you want non-default
mounting options for devices that have mountpoints dynamically created
at mount time by hal, you'll have to dig down into the xml spagetti
that is hal policy.

edit the udev rules for the default permissions block devices when the
devices are noticed by udev

edit the pam.console rules to shortcircuit the console user switching magic.

edit fstab and create mountpoints for 'static' mounts that you need to
write by hand

edit the hal policy to deal with permissions associated with
'dynamically' created mount points in /media/.  Remember the
mountpoints for hal controlled storage devices are now created at
mount time in FC5 not at device insertion time, and no more fstab
entries for those devices all the mount options are encoded as hal
policy.

profit

-jef