question about creation of updated DVD iso

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue May 23 17:53:06 UTC 2006

Actually, using
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/gene_czarcinski/update_distro/
hints,
integrated with Remi Collet answer on this thread (update of
vmlinuz/initrd install files: It's the "buildinstall" job) and taking
things at
http://www.users.on.net/~rgarth/weblog/fedora/patch_cd.autumn
(Simone Caronni comments in particular for pkgorder and buildinstall options)
allowed me to create an updated DVD iso (up to 16/5 + unofficial 2118
kernels) in a very simple way.
I was able to install without any problem (x86 arch): only a pair of
dependency problems in install.log about pilot-link and another
package, probably related to mirror not completely updated when I
downloaded rpm updates to master the iso...
The choice and filter inside the RPMS dir was made manually ;-(
I didn't have time to check the scripts referred in the latest link
and other sources.
I'm going to repeat with the offical 2122 kernel and see.

One probably important thing is that the whole process of creating the
updated iso was done on an FC5 system, updated at the same level the
future iso would have been.
Or at least with latest packages for programs used:
anaconda
anaconda-runtime
busybox-anaconda

The main need for an updated kernel in DVD iso is in the case you have
an hw component not or not well supported in 2054/original kernel (my
case problem with sata drivers) and instead supported in an updated
version. And also for consistency and coherency of the bundle itself.

Thanks to all for the moment.
Gianluca