Making LDAP easier to use (Was: rawhide report: 20060522 changes)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Wed May 24 08:13:52 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:

> For simple multi-machine nss nis is still, by far, the simplest to setup
> and maintain.

LDAP sure isn't an easy beast to configure and run, expecially
if you need TLS and replication.

But this is largely a distribution issue: the default configuration
in Fedora does not come close to what would be needed to setup an
LDAP authentication server.  And there are no system-config-* tools
for newbies to use.  I've had similar experience with other Linux
distributions.

Linux is now the only OS that doesn't provide out of the box
authentication and directory services for corporate environments.
Windows got there six years ago with ActiveDirectory and MacOSX
does it beautifully with NetInfo and its nice OpenLDAP integration.

As an administrator, I'm particularly embarassed to show my
customers the tools I use to run their UNIX accounts and
Samba domain controller.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/