Future Fedora Development

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:39:20 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, David <david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Ive just joined this mailing list and I am in intending to get involved
> with the testing effort within the Feodra project.  Just by way of
> introduction I am based in Belfast Ireland
[ snip ]

No kidding, I am from Belfast, Dominica.

[ snip ]

> 1. Cost.

No doubt there.

> 2. This older kit provides all the functionality I need at home as Im
> not big into gaming or heavy multimedia or the like

True, but lower values from `time make foo` never hurt

> 3. An element of "save the earth".

Understandable, but I would assume that older hardware is also less
energy efficient.

[ snip ]

 Perhaps a solution would be to ask ANACONDA to identify hardware
> resources available on a box and then provide a suggested build of
> Fedora to be intstalled that will provide only the functionality the
> hardware is capable of running sucessfully?

I would love to see Anaconda much more intelligent. The only reason
that I am not more vocal about it is that I am not yet in a position
to fix it, so why complain. But still Anaconda should be able to make
interface, and installation decisions based on at least the following
metrics, with the intention of making the entire experience more
pleasureable.

- Hardware power (CPU speed, primary storage capacity, etc. )
- Experience level of human installer
- Choice of desktop environment
- Type (if any) of internet connection
- Status of human installer during installation (at machine, away from
machine, etc.)

It would also be cool to have the option to simply plug in a USB drive
which contained a supported file system and a file with core version
agnostic data which allowed Anaconda to know what the user likes
(typically installs) and have the rest automated from there. But that
might be a wee bit over the top.

> Cheers
>
> David
>
> --