rawhide report: 20060524 changes

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Wed May 24 16:47:09 UTC 2006

Dnia 24-05-2006, śro o godzinie 18:24 +0200, Ralf Corsepius napisał(a):
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:15 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Tomasz Kłoczko (kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl) said:
> > > Dnia 24-05-2006, śro o godzinie 03:54 -0400, Build System napisał(a):
> > > [..]
> > >
> > > Instead fixing all <foo>-config scripts better will be remove them all
> > > and move all <foo> lib detections to use pkgconfig.
> > > This allow strip down entrophy on this area instead enlarging ..
> >
> > That would require patching all *upstream* users of library <foo>
> > to change their configury, which could involve redoing all of their
> > auto* files. It's not a 'small' amount of work.
> In many cases, it's trivial to add pkgconfig files (if upstream doesn't)
> and to rewrite <pkg>-config scripts as wrappers to pkgconfig.
>
> Whether this makes sense and has a long term perspective, are different
> matters.

IMO not because after introducing this all packages which provides
<foo>-config scripts must additionaly depents on pkgconfig tool .. look
this next set of things which enlarges enthropy.
Now pkgconfig dependency is build stage (BuildRequires). After this it
will change it to install some *-devel packages stage.

kloczek