rawhide report: 20060524 changes

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed May 24 16:44:50 UTC 2006

Tomasz Kłoczko (kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl) said:
> And what is so problematic in make this as "this feacture will be
> disscontinued in FC6 ?"
> Again: on strict distribution packages set amout of work is compareable
> but just introduced way allow continue to grow entrophy .. probably this
> way will create in future more cases for fixing.
> Why not cut this now ?

Because you're nuts. :)

Seriously, you will then have reports from lots of users -
"this software doesn't build on Fedora! Fedora sucks, I'm using
Ubuntu."  Upstream maintainers who don't care about these things
will just pile on, saying "Why use Fedora? This is just like
gcc-2.96 all over again."

If we want to have the foo-config scripts warn, sure. Possibly
even patch our own Core & Extras packages. But randomly breaking
third-party software so it won't build isn't really practical.

Bill