RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed May 24 18:05:39 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> - Run ntsysv (or equivalent) and disable the xfs service from
>   starting at boot time.
>
> - Run "service xfs stop" to shut down xfs
>
> - Edit xorg.conf and comment out the unix:/7100 font path.
>   Add a FontPath that points to the "misc" font directory.
>
> - Start the X server.  It should start correctly as long as you
>   have properly configured the misc font path, as it will then
>   still be able to find "fixed" and "cursor".

I've done this and I've just hit my first bug, should we file these in
BZ starting with some kinda disclaimer that we did the above?

Anyways "display" from ImageMagick no longer works, which is kinda PITA,
since I'm trying to view some .rgb files and more modern tools try to
read them as wmf which they are not and unsurprisingly thus fail.

Doing a "xset fp+ /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi" unsurprisingly fixes the
issue. I believe quite a few of the other trouble reports sofar where
about helvetica too, maybe we should move helvetica to misc (ugly hack,
but still) ?

Regards,

Hans