NetworkManager system-wide use

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri May 26 19:28:20 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> fre, 26 05 2006 kl. 11:48 -0600, skrev Philip Prindeville:
>
>> David Hollis wrote:

>>> Uh, unless I really don't understand your question, the dependency is
>>> there because SOME/MOST networks do use WEP/WPA.
>>>

>> Not true.  A lot of hotspots (Starbuck's, Boise airport, certain municipal
>> networks like Portland, OR, etc. are all open access, with no WEP/WPA).
>>
>> It is sometimes or even *mostly* the case, but not always.  Therefore, in
>> the cases where it doesn't apply, no dependency should exist.
>>
>> The RPM should have some way of detecting if wireless cards are present
>> (perhaps using the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*) and
>> then inferring a dependence of wpa_supplicant (which as I said, only
>> applies IFF you have wireless hardware and the networks you use
>> require authentication and/or privacy).
>>

> I read that correctly you want to install the rpm in runtime.

What?  No.  You can have conditional requirements in the RPM...  such
as "*iff* the hardware I'm running on has a wireless NIC, then require
wpa_supplicant."  So the RPM can detect a wireless adapter and
conditionally define a Requires: wpa_supplicant line in the NetworkManager
RPM.

> "Oh it looks like you have wifi and you want to connect using WEP/WPA..
> please give me the root password."
>
> That sounds like an utterly scary scenerio. You are forgetting the the
> system is dynamic, so the user can insert a wifi capable device at any
> time and to connect to a protected network you would then for first time
> require the root password to install the rpm.

The user is also completely capable of manually installing wpa_supplicant
if he knows he will be using a plug-in wireless card (though more and
more wireless cards are mini-PCI, and hence don't get unplugged much).

This would be better than having an unconditional requirement for wireless
support in wired-only (desktop) environments.

> This should just magically work, which means the package must be
> installed. The natural thing to do this would be make networkmanager
> depend on it. What is the tradeoff here, a dependency on 241kb package
> vs. having to install something in runtime (the logic to do this would
> probably be comparable in size to be honest).

It's not the size of the package.  It's the dependencies that that
package in turn
has (like pcsc-libs-lite, etc), the vulnerabilities and exploits that
that package
has plug all of its dependencies, etc.

> Please tell me I read your proposal wrong.

I never said anything about run-time.  It was purely install-time.  You
can detect most of the hardware at install-time.  What you can't (i.e.
a plug-in PCMCIA card) you can anticipate for and install the
wpa_supplicant package for anyway.

-Philip