NetworkManager system-wide use

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat May 27 03:56:30 UTC 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 2:28 pm, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> What?  No.  You can have conditional requirements in the RPM...  such
> as "*iff* the hardware I'm running on has a wireless NIC, then require
> wpa_supplicant."  So the RPM can detect a wireless adapter and
> conditionally define a Requires: wpa_supplicant line in the NetworkManager
> RPM.
Err   I don't think so.  rpm has no such abilities
> > "Oh it looks like you have wifi and you want to connect using WEP/WPA..
> > please give me the root password."

> The user is also completely capable of manually installing wpa_supplicant
> if he knows he will be using a plug-in wireless card (though more and
> more wireless cards are mini-PCI, and hence don't get unplugged much).
>
> This would be better than having an unconditional requirement for wireless
> support in wired-only (desktop) environments.

> I never said anything about run-time.  It was purely install-time.  You
> can detect most of the hardware at install-time.  What you can't (i.e.
> a plug-in PCMCIA card) you can anticipate for and install the
> wpa_supplicant package for anyway.
so  a user with wireless needs to go through more hoops.

you are also forgetting the case where wired users  need authentication.
While not all that popular at them moment some large wired networks  do
require  this.  Why  i dont want you walking into the company where i work
plugging into a data jack  and listening on my wire.  so i make you
authenticate  to use my wired network.

There are too many cases where this is needed.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE
Proud Australian