vncserver in future dists

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 1 13:25:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 01:51:50PM +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to port x11vnc
> (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/) project as default vncserver in
> future dists. Current vncserver has self xorg-server and this is
> argument for x11vnc. When main xorg-x11-server package is patched,
> patches must be ported to vnc now. vncserver might be only "layer" on
> xorg-x11-server and have dependency for it. Maintaining of vnc could be really easy.. What do you think
> about it?? Is this bad idea??

I think that it is a good idea, however it seems to be a rather different
software that the current vnc-server. And to have the client you have to
build the vnc-server since they come from the same source. So it is not a
replacement for the vnc server package, but rather a usefull complementary
package (if I'm not wrong it replaces more or less x0vncserver from the
vncserver package).

Now you may use x11vnc for the distro specific bits, like in anaconda
(but I don't know enough to comment that), or the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver.

Anyway you could allready submit x11vnc to extras, there are packages in
rpmforge, you may want to coordinate with them.

--
Pat