FC6 - Stock x86_64 stock install, installs about 158 i386/686 rpm's

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 2 03:17:09 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> Because to the end user, what does that mean?  More options and questions and
> buttons suck more.  Things need to work out of the box, and people can
> cripple them after the fact.  Yes, cripple.  You've got hardware that is
> capable of running both x86_64 and i386 (or ppc64 and ppc).  Crippling the OS
> to not support it is something we should _not_ do.

One use case where you definitely DON'T want i386 multilibs is an x86_64 QEMU
VM running on an i386 machine. If you want to build 32-bit packages, you're
going to do it on your real hardware, not an emulated machine. And installing
in QEMU is slow, so useless packages being pulled in is a PITA.

        Kevin Kofler