yum module idea: force-install high-priority updates

Erik van Pienbroek admin at zapped.2y.net
Thu Nov 9 00:00:37 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 09-11-2006 om 08:36 uur [tijdzone +0900], schreef Naoki:
> In this specific case I'd be wondering why liferea needs a very specific
> version of firefox. I just checked the app in question and it states a
> requirement of :
> firefox = 1.5.0.7

I'm not familiar with liferea, but I am a developer of a application
which uses GtkEmbedMoz, an GTK firefox embedding widget and I think
liferea is in the same situation as I am.

The problem is that each version of Mozilla/Firefox uses a
different installation prefix. For Firefox 1.5.0.7 this
is /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7

When a application links with some Mozilla/Firefox library
the full path gets saved in the final executable.

If a new firefox release appears, the application still tries to
search the Mozilla/Firefox library in the old directory instead
of the new firefox prefix. So a rebuild (or a LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack)
is necessary for the application to become operational again.

So the question for this case should be if this isn't a firefox
packaging bug instead of a liferea bug as this problem applies
to other programs as well (epiphany for example).

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek