X in FC7

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Thu Nov 16 02:03:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:49:06AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Sure, but that doesn't explain why we use it for local font access.

Old (386/486-era) systems with no FPU would seem to hang for seconds
at a time while the X server rendered fonts.  Even on systems with an
FPU, using the font server made X *much* more responsive/smooth.

I know most people probably don't remember those days, but surely
there are still smaller systems that benefit greatly from the font
server...

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/