Fedora/PowerPC on PlayStation 3

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 10:29:04 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 09:24 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Go Fedora/PPC ....
> >
> > http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/19/fedora-linux-up-and-running-on-playstation-3-with-video/
> >
> > Not officially supported yet but we should have a build of FC6+updates
> > to install on it some time soon just as we did FC4+updates for the
> > Pegasos II, and of course we intend FC7 to support it out of the box.
> >
> > There are other new PowerPC machines in the works too.
> > Who needs Apple? :)
>
> I know this is not really fedora related, but I thought the PS4 used the
> cell processor, not a PowerPC processor, and that the cell processors
> were dramatically different to the PPC.
>
> What gives?

It does use a Cell processor, which is a variant of the PowerPC
processor. The Cell was developed by IBM for Sony. IBM are now
shipping Cell processors in Blades and already support Linux on those
blades. Some details here
http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb091906-story02.html

This will be interesting to see, the XBox 360 also runs on a variant
of the PowerPC processor from a similar base to that of the Cell
processor, and the Wii also sports some other variant of the PowerPC
processor too.

Peter