Core + Exrtas 2

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 20 15:31:03 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:03:45PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Why, what is there to loose? I agree with you on major upgrades of
>> existing packages, but adding a new package to the repo, say a new game
>> for example, will not hurt existing users in anyway, even if they do a
>> daily yum update it will change nothing for them, except an ever so
>> slightly larger metadata download.
>
> It encourages people to move to new releases to get new stuff. And of course
> skilled users who want the package on an older release can always rebuild
> it.

Lets say we have this merged / unified FC-7, I'm not arguing that we then should still
allow packages to be added to FC-6, but we should allow adding them to FC-7, so I don't
buy this argument.

Actually not allowing them in the new unified one, would result in
the opposite of which you advocate, I could still add a new game to FC-6 as that still has the old
model, but I couldn't add it to FC-7, that will sure motivate people to update to FC-7.

Ant to quote Ralf:
""Exactly, you'd loose this advantage.

Also you seem to be neglecting that "volunteer contributors" are
interested in seeing their packages being shipped and used, i.e. as part
of the current distro. At least to me contributing packages to "rawhide"
at the price of having to cope with "rawhide" would be highly
non-interesting and non-applicable."

I fully agree with this. I invest a not small amount of time to create new
packages for Fedora, and then I would like our users, or atleast those who are
using a still supported release to be able to use them. Adding packages to a EOL
release is a whole other story, I'm agaist that just like you.

Regards,

Hans