gstreamer-plugins-good and (the lack of) taglib

Bob Richmond bob at lorez.org
Tue Nov 21 04:32:09 UTC 2006

The gstreamer-plugins-good package in core is missing taglib support,
but the source package will happily build it if you happen to have the
taglib-devel package from Extras installed when you build the
gstreamer-plugins-good package, but the resulting RPM won't be created
because the resulting new library file isn't included in the files list.

I've attached a patch that will explicitly require taglib as a
BuildRequires and include libgsttaglib.so in the file list so that the
standard package has taglib support.

Having taglib support in the plugins package means you can install the
gstreamer-plugins-ugly package from (eg) Livna, and be able to include !
id3v2mux in the gstreamer pipeline, and actually have it output an MP3
with proper ID3 tags.

The only problem I can think of in introducing this patch is the
dirtiness of making a package from Extras be a build requirement of a
package in core. Is this generally frowned upon?