Static linking considered harmful

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 22 10:24:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 05:08:00AM -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We should more proactively discourage static linking in FC7+, for
> reasons for that see
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/no_static_linking.html
>
> Removing libc.a would be most effective, but I'm afraid we still need
> a handful of statically linked binaries for boot time initialization and
> system recovery utilities.

Not only. There are cases when all those issues are moot, a prominent one
being for numerical models. Compiling models statically makes it possible
to run them on any other linux (including different fedora version) box
without recompiling. So all the libraries that can be used for numerical
computations should have static libraries kept. To be able to compile
statically those kind of executables requires in turn to keep static version
of 'standard' libraries, and also maybe some libraries used in data
processing and conversion and the like.

--
Pat