unowned directory problem with /etc/logrotate.d

Davide Bolcioni db-fedora at 3di.it
Fri Nov 24 10:43:51 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> Many packages drop config files for logrotate in /etc/logrotate.d.
> without requiring logrotate, which is the owner of
> /etc/logrotate.d, thus potentially leading to an unowned
> /etc/logrotate.d for users who don't want logrotate and thus remove it.
>
> I see 2 solutions for this:
> 1) Add "Requires: logrotate" to all packages which put files in
> /etc/logrotate.d. IMHO this is not good as the user should be able
>   to choose if he wants logrotate or not.
> 2) Add /etc/logrotate.d to the filesystem package, this is my preferred
> solution.
>
> I would like to hear what others think, before filing a bug against
> filesystem requesting 2) .

If the package drops a file in logrotate.d, it's likely that it is
because something in the package is writing to some log file which the
package expects logrotate to operate upon; if logrotate is not there to
rotate them, there's a chance of filling /var. I would feel safer with
option (1).

Thank you for your consideration,
Davide Bolcioni
--