vncserver in future dists

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 16:10:51 UTC 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Tim Waugh wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:25 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
>>> The Xorg server is perfectly capable of running headless, just
>>> configure it to use the dummy driver.
>>
>> I think the point is that VNC users are used to having a single 'Xvnc'
>> binary they can run, which is a bit like Xvfb but you can connect a VNC
>> viewer to it.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this isn't trivial with x11vnc (but maybe I'm
>> reading the FAQ incorrectly).
>
> Nothing a small shell script couldn't fix though.  Something like:

If this is done and the scripts included, then the proposal sounds good
to me.

I use x11vnc at home, but with an existing server (mythtv frontend,
output is connected to my TV, but this setup allows me access and
control from my desktop if necessary). I've had no major problem with it.

Only small issue that I've yet to look into properly, is that if you
resize the X server's display resolution, then x11vnc exits. Whether
picking up this change and coping with it (even if it's not passed down
to any connected client) is possible... I've not investigated. If you're
interested, I'd want to do this because I have an optimum resolution for
my TV, but if I connect from my desktop I'd like to increase the
resolution).

Cheers

--
Stuart Children