package updater optimization proposal

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 19:21:42 UTC 2006

Hello,
I'm using package updater with my brand new fc6.
I found in the past in fc5 that using yum from command line, I could
do a Ctrl+C when hitting a slow mirror and then I got a faster one,
eventually with more than one Ctrl+C.
it was a useful workaround..
Only drawback was that the Ctrl+C was not trapped and so after the
downloading phase completed, the program exited and I had to rerun
"yum update" to go to the transaction phase.
In fc6 it seems Ctrl+C is trapped, so it seems better in this way.
In graphical package updater instead, you have no way to say to it for
example "hey, I got a slooooow mirror; can you change it, please? Also
randomly, I don't want to choose a specific one..."
Is it reasonable to have pup propose to change mirror through a button
or something else?
Or by deign is intended that the mirror you get, the mirror you deserve?
I admit that in this way you could saturate some mirrors, but during
these days using pup is a pain... I always get very slow mirrors. I'm
based in Italy and I'm using adsl with Tele2, that I think uses
servers based in sweden to go through broad internet...

Gianluca