Strange behaviour with boottime loading of ipw2200

Rubin rubin at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 3 12:51:47 UTC 2006

Hi People,

I noticed something weird with the ipw2200 drivers being autoloaded at
boot. I have an "alias eth1 ipw2200" line in modprobe.conf.

It used to work without a problem for a couple of days but suddenly I'm
getting very weird interface names. Instead of "eth1", I'm getting
"__tmp437329847239" where the number behind tmp is random.

NetworkManager gets sort of confused by this. The interface does work
though when configged by hand.

Doing "rmmod ipw2200 && modprobe ipw2200" gives the expected "eth1"
interface name.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this kind of thing before. Maybe it
is the result of a common misconfiguration? A few searches on google
didn't show anything, hence my question here.

Kind regards,

Rubin.