Strange behaviour with boottime loading of ipw2200

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Fri Nov 3 15:46:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 01:51:47PM +0100, Rubin wrote:
> I noticed something weird with the ipw2200 drivers being autoloaded at
> boot. I have an "alias eth1 ipw2200" line in modprobe.conf.
>
> It used to work without a problem for a couple of days but suddenly I'm
> getting very weird interface names. Instead of "eth1", I'm getting
> "__tmp437329847239" where the number behind tmp is random.
>
> NetworkManager gets sort of confused by this. The interface does work
> though when configged by hand.
>
> Doing "rmmod ipw2200 && modprobe ipw2200" gives the expected "eth1"
> interface name.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has seen this kind of thing before. Maybe it
> is the result of a common misconfiguration? A few searches on google
> didn't show anything, hence my question here.

I am seeing the same thing on a server using bonding with two ethernet
interfaces. I have two different cards (e1000, acenic) and on every boot
one of the card fails. The bond0 interface still works with only one
card by I also have to do an rmmod, modprobe to get both cards working.
So I have the same error in a different setup.

		Adrian