Strange behaviour with boottime loading of ipw2200

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:27:14 UTC 2006

On 11/3/06, Rubin <rubin at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It used to work without a problem for a couple of days but suddenly I'm
> getting very weird interface names. Instead of "eth1", I'm getting
> "__tmp437329847239" where the number behind tmp is random.

I just installed FC6 on my laptop (ASUS M6Ne) and experienced the same
problem. Of course at first boot the firmware was not loaded, so I
quite expected wifi would not work OOTB.

However, installing the firmware and starting NM did not work, but was
enough to get it going on FC5 so something is less "smart" than
before.

I verified and the file
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
does not contain the HWADDR line (can't tell if it was there on FC5 or not)

Moreover, eth1 does not seems to be recognized as a wireless device (I
think there is at least one bug in bugzilla for this)