Linux Standard Base / Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 5 14:18:34 UTC 2006

Benjy Grogan wrote:
> On 11/4/06, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:20:46AM -0500, Benjy Grogan wrote:
>> > Is Fedora Core 6 LSB 3.0 compliant?  I wasn't able to find any
>>
>> I don't believe anyone has paid to submit it for formal testing.
>
> Did someone submit FC5 for formal testing?

No. That is basically what Alan Cox said.

  Is FC6 expected to pass
> LSB-3.0 or LSB-3.1?

Noone has tested that.  My understanding is that LSB is a trailing edge
standard for ISV (usually proprietary applications)  which means they
look at what distributions like Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SLES do
commonly and bless that as a standard. That works when distribution
stick with a base set of libraries and programs and backport fixes. For
a fast moving distribution like Fedora even if a general release is said
to be compliant, any of the updates might deviate from that since many
components dont have any ABI compatibility guidelines (with a few like
GTK as exceptions) and since new revisions of the standards wont be put
out as fast as Fedora releases, this is unlikely to work out.

Rahul