FC6 x86_64 Custom RPMS

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 6 06:27:16 UTC 2006

Nana Kofi Asumadu wrote:
> Firstly, most of these packages are packages that Fedora/Redhat refuses to include in either main stream or extra because of possible patent/legal issue ( which I completely understand).

Now that you've provided a working URL I've taken a look and I see a lot of packages which cannot be explained by this.

> Secondly, most of the patches applied are either in their respective cvs/svn or have been submitted for consideration for inclusion into the next new release.

Even if that is true, if the fixes are important enough to warrant you building a package please submit bugs
with patches attached and let the maintainer decide wether he conciders this important enough to release an
updated package or if he will wait till upstreams next release.

> I find most of these packages useful and again, I completely understand Fedora/Redhat's stand on these.  I merely provided the link for anyone else who may find them useful regardless of any political or individualistic view about these software.

I understand that you are trying to help, but in this way you aren't really helping at all, yet another repo
(and one without repo data) will only serve to confuse users. If you've got improvements for packages in FE report them to the FE packaga maintainers, if you've got improvements for packages which legally cannot be in FE report them to livna. Stop doing double work, there are already enough repo's as is!

Don't get me wrong your contributions are much appreciated, the way you contribute them though could be
improved.

Regards,

Hans