I think, rsh is quite obsolete

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 11:07:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 10:55 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Adam Tkac writes:
>  > I think, It's no argument to include rsh in next versions of fc/rhel.
>  > OpenSSH could successfully substitute this component. SSH is more secure
>  > than rsh and has all features of rsh. Do you think anything else??
>
> High performance environments are one obvious example.  I've used rsh
> for high-load testing of systems, where you don't want encryption
> overhead to get in the way.

Yes, definitely. There are also other problems with scp/sftp protocols
which lower their performance on fast networks. These are being remedied
with the HPN patch (http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/) but
upstream still refuses to accept the patch and we don't want to diverge
from it so much. There is also a question if this patch couldn't cause
incompatibility with unpatched OpenSSH clients/servers in some
circumstances.

So I'd say, keep the rsh for now. Or even better possibility would be to
move it to Extras as Extras are NOT a second class citizen and RHEL can
still include it.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb