yum module idea: force-install high-priority updates

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 20:41:00 UTC 2006

Today's Firefox update causes problems on machines with the liferea
package from Fedora Extras, which depends on a specific version of
Firefox. This sets me thinking: what if a vital security update is
being pushed, and we don't mind breaking the packages that block the
update for the time being?

Not really familiar with yum's innards, but would it be possible to
write a module that would, in case of high-security updates (probably
marked as such in the repodata, and perhaps incorporating user input,
e.g. --force-update glob and --ignore-force-update glob), remove
conflicting packages, apply the update, and keep track of which
packages were removed so that they can be automatically reinstalled
when no longer in conflict.

There might be a problem if the conflicting package is not available
from any repository, but in general, does the idea seem sound?

Regards,

--
Michel Salim

Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
avoiding you.
                -- The Old Farmer's Almanac