yum module idea: force-install high-priority updates

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 00:59:10 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Erik van Pienbroek <admin at zapped.2y.net> wrote:
> Op donderdag 09-11-2006 om 08:36 uur [tijdzone +0900], schreef Naoki:
> > In this specific case I'd be wondering why liferea needs a very specific
> > version of firefox. I just checked the app in question and it states a
> > requirement of :
> > firefox = 1.5.0.7
>
> I'm not familiar with liferea, but I am a developer of a application
> which uses GtkEmbedMoz, an GTK firefox embedding widget and I think
> liferea is in the same situation as I am.
>
> The problem is that each version of Mozilla/Firefox uses a
> different installation prefix. For Firefox 1.5.0.7 this
> is /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7
>
> When a application links with some Mozilla/Firefox library
> the full path gets saved in the final executable.

In case of liferea, the dependency is not actually that hard-coded.
liferea uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH to add Firefox's installation directory
before calling the actual liferea-bin binary. This path is detected at
build time and hardcoded into the script.

> So the question for this case should be if this isn't a firefox
> packaging bug instead of a liferea bug as this problem applies
> to other programs as well (epiphany for example).

In liferea's case, yes, the problem would go away if the last version
of Firefox installed would just create a symlink of
%{_libdir}/firefox-%{version} to %{_libdir}/firefox

In an ideal world, Fedora Core and Extras packages would get
automatically rebuilt if their dependencies would be broken by an
update. As I understand it, such rebuilds are now done by hand?

--
Michel Salim

Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
avoiding you.
                -- The Old Farmer's Almanac