I think, rsh is quite obsolete

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 09:26:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 11:50:51AM +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> I think, It's no argument to include rsh in next versions of fc/rhel.
> OpenSSH could successfully substitute this component. SSH is more secure
> than rsh and has all features of rsh. Do you think anything else??

 Yes, definitely. I've spent last two years to make it useful and I
 think it requires minimal time for maintenance now (it's reason why
 I've left this package). We have feedback from our customers and FC
 users that they need it and they use it. Reasons:

  - high-performance
  - security overhead
  - traditional UNIX compatibility
  - around us are people who use non-Linux systems and rsh is very
    important for them

 Maybe we're already somewhere on the way between classic UNIX and
 Windows, but I think it's still to early to forget classic UNIX rule:

     The right tool for the job.

 Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>