wireless NICs, wpa

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Fri Nov 10 11:57:59 UTC 2006

On 10-Nov-2006 10:45.15 (GMT), Gabriel M. Elder wrote:
 > I'm
 > also looking to use wpa personal with tkip. Native driver support is
 > preferred, but i guess i can live with it if it works with ndiswrapper.

network-scripts still don't support WPA. At present, the simplest way to use
WPA is by using NetworkManager, but for us people who don't want to have to
log in to activate networking, another solution is required.

I've made some changes to the network scripts to handle WPA if you want to
use it when the interfaces are brought up on startup.

    http://choralone.org/cruft/random/ns.diff

They are by no means perfect, and I vaguely remember that there are some
alterations I need to make to them in order to complete them.

To get them working, download the diff.

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
patch -p1 < /path/to/ns.diff

Then edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/wpa_supplicant.conf - insert the
details of your WPA network into that file. Then edit the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN interface and add:

WPA=yes
WPADRIVER=(hostap|prism54|madwifi|atmel|wext|ndiswrapper|wired)

(pick one WPADRIVER - I use wext on my Intel ipw2200 & ipw2915 cards)

As I remember, this needs to be altered as wired interfaces can be 802.1x
managed and this inserts WPA code into the wireless scripts.

Once I've completed these and am happy that they will be robust for use,
I'll see if anyone upstream is interested. But I don't know if the intention
is to handle WPA in the network scripts.

  (crossposted to fedora-devel, please reply-to-all with care)

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0x01e00563 :: rob at choralone.org