wireless NICs, wpa

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200611 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Nov 10 18:18:08 UTC 2006

Rob Andrews <rob at choralone.org> writes:
> network-scripts still don't support WPA. At present, the simplest way to use
> WPA is by using NetworkManager, but for us people who don't want to have to
> log in to activate networking, another solution is required.

Under fc5 and fc6 I run wpa_supplicant and the network scripts.  The
wireless with WPA2 comes up automatically as expected.  The only
change needed is that wpa_supplicant init needs to be called before
the networking scripts are called.

emacs /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant
- chkconfig:   - 12 88
+ chkconfig:   - 9 88

chkconfig wpa_supplicant on

>     http://choralone.org/cruft/random/ns.diff

This is much more extensive than I use.  (Not to say this is a bad
idea, but this is more intrusive than needed to get things working.)

-wolfgang