X in FC7

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Sat Nov 11 02:46:35 UTC 2006

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Well, I created an account but can't seem to edit the page.  Anyway, I
> like the idea of getting rid of xfs, it seems fairly useless.  And to
> quote mharris from awhile back:
>

>>Long term, what would be really nice, is if someone figured
>>out a way to implement core fonts using fontconfig/Xft
>>underneath so we have one font system, and it provides
>>legacy compatibility to ancient applications that have not
>>been updated to modern interfaces.  That is something that
>>would need to be spearheaded at the X.Org level rather than
>>at a specific distribution however.
>

> That said, which apps care about core fonts these days?

Many hundreds of user-written vertical-integration apps that
run on Fedora boxes, but are not in any Fedora repository.
The X11 font system has been reasonably well documented for
_decades_, including a significant period when those documents
were a noted improvement on the documents for the "successor"
font systems.