Testing Fedora - small (?) suggestion.

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 11:05:33 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> or we instruct testers to use yum-skip-broken plugin that is now
> available as of fe6.

I think that's missing the point. Testers should have to do as little
voodoo as possible on their machines to get a working rawhide install.
Telling them to install a yum plugin is just as bad as telling them to
--exclude={,,,}. Multiply every minute you expect testers to sit there
trying to work out why updates aren't happening and installing plugins
by the number of testers and the result is a substantial waste of time
(that could have been used to find real bugs).

Maybe the yum-skip-broken plugin should be installed by default in
test releases. Or maybe we could just fix the build system. Any new
update generated by the build system that isn't installable due to
dependencies should be put in a temporary place until the dependent
packages arrive.

n0dalus.