Testing Fedora - small (?) suggestion.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Nov 11 22:57:42 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 November 2006 15:23, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> You're not hearing what people are saying. Releasing broken tree and
> isos actively discourages testing. When rawhide breaks a lot of testers
> will will just pass and wait till anaconda and yum are happy. Others
> will try to update nevertheless, spend all their energy manually
> workarounding the breakage, and not test anything once the update boots,
> because they'll have wasted their free time testing budget. No matter
> how you look at it, every period when the tree is broken is a neat loss
> on the QA front.

I didn't say we'd be releasing broken isos.  I'm just saying that treating
rawhide as an installable tree is a broken concept.  Rawhide is nothing more
than a collection of packages at a given point during the night.  In fact,
for this next development cycle, I'd like to change how the boot.iso and such
work for rawhide, in that it doesn't KNOW about any packages, rather it just
has core and extras as preselected remote repositories.  This way you can use
a good combination of kernel and anaconda to install day after day after day,
and rawhide becomes nothing more than a createrepo call.

> If you want Fedora get the polish it lacks rawhide need to be
> installable 90% of the times and FC Test users need to spend their time
> on something else than getting the release to boot. Remember "upstream,
> upstream upstream". If a problem is not detected early enough to
> percolate upstream and get fixed in time for inclusion, we're only doing
> testing for other distros. The final release will always reflect the
> standard you used in the devel branch, no last-minute test release
> effort will change this.

And if we force developers to spend too much time on making rawhide dep free
each and every day they'll have no time to actually work on functionality or
enhancements.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora