wireles

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 12 02:15:01 UTC 2006

Frank S. <franklinux392 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> Sorry to bother you I know  i should ask this questions in a forum but i have
try with no result so:I need to get a wireless wifi PC card for my laptop and a
pci wifi card for my desktop, I do NOT want to use Ndiswrap or anything similar
to that I would to get one that works out of the box, PLEASE could you
recommend me one Thank you very much

Unfortunately, as others have already said, there isn't really something which
works out of the box except for older 802.11b-only chipsets. There are
currently 4 categories of drivers I can think of:
1. driver (GPL) in the kernel, but needs a separate firmware download (under a
restrictive license). Examples: ipw2100, ipw2200, bcm43xx.
2. GPL driver, no firmware download required, but not merged yet. Examples:
rt2400, rt2500, rt2570, rtl8180. See the rest of my e-mail for details.
3. GPL driver, not merged yet, requires separate firmware. Examples: rt61,
rt73.
4. Instead of or in addition to the firmware, the driver has some other
proprietary portions. Examples: ipw3945 (binary regulatory daemon), madwifi
(for Atheros cards, uses a binary hardware abstraction layer).

One solution if you don't want binary firmware is Ralink rt2500-based cards
(there's a USB version called rt2570, the PCI and PC Card versions are called
rt2500). These have a GPL driver and don't need binary firmware (presumably,
they have some firmware on a ROM on the chip, but you don't have to deal with
licenses or separate downloads). The downside is that the driver is
out-of-tree, so it has to be built separately. However, the newer rt2x00 driver
which also supports these chipsets is under review for Extras. I don't know
when or if it will be approved though. The nice thing about rt2500/2570 is that
these support 54 Mbps 802.11g, unlike old chipsets like Orinoco, the drawback
is that the drivers are still not in the kernel (they want to get rt2x00
working because the original driver is essentially a port of Ralink's Window$
driver which isn't ideal for Linux, and rt2x00 1. is not finished and 2. is
waiting for the DeviceScape 802.11 stack to go into the kernel first, this
problem has already been mentioned).

Be warned though that the newer rt61 (PCI/PC-Card) and rt73 (USB) chips do need
a firmware binary downloadable from the Ralink site, with no license text
attached at all (so you can only guess at what the terms are, no
redistribution, I assume), at least that was the situation last I checked.

As another 802.11g option, Realtek 8180 chips also work without firmware
downloads and with a GPL-ed driver, but that hasn't been merged into the kernel
either. I don't know what the status of that driver is.

        Kevin Kofler