Testing Fedora - small (?) suggestion.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 16:28:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 13:09 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 10:21, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Question: Can pungi be used to auto-create the ISOs?
>
> Cron is your friend.
>
> Missing deps isn't the problem, its the actual functionality of the installer,
> or of the packages being installed.  These are harder to test automatically,
> and harder to fix without a freeze in place.

OK. I accept that spinning test releases once that tree build integrity
is achieved is problematic. (Though I still call for -more- test
releases and a logical naming scheme)
By -design-, Anacnoda bombs out if anything is broken.
If you maintain that there's no way to create/detect/exclude a stable
tree image, Anaconda should be able to detect and remove missing deps
-and- do graceful recovery (as opposed to graceful exit) when something
is broken but was undetected during the initial scan.
This should ensure that unless something is broken within Anaconda
(which is interesting and worthwhile by itself), most install attempts
will end with a bootable image - no matter which package configuration
was selected. Missing stuff (or broken stuff) can always be installed
using "yum --exclude XXX update"

As it stands, at least in my own experience, getting rawhide installed
from scratch is a matter of pure luck.
I'm trying to find a way to replace dumb luck with better error
handling.

- Gilboa