Can we make readahead more robust to package updates?

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Mon Nov 13 16:22:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:15:57PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/12/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Okay its come to my attention that the readahead configs have a
> >difficult time being kept in sync as package updates roll out. For fc6
> >right now for example readahead is out of sync with firefox libraries.
> >
> >Can we update readahead's implementation so we can get per package
> >control of the default configs?  Is a readahead.d/ structure
> >appropriate here?
>
> Sorry... i didnt look hard enough... the readahead.d structure was
> added for fc6.... the problem is package maintainers aren't using it
> yet.  I guess what I need to do is parse the existing config file...
> identify individual packages that could drop files in readahead.d/
> and poke the appropriate maintainers in the eye about dropping a file
> in there as part of package payloading.
>
> Anyone want to help me construct the list of packages that could make
> sure of readahead.d/ on a per package basis based on the default
> readahead configs we have right now?

 I don't have machine with full FC6 installation, but you can create
 the list very easily by shell command:

 for f in `cat /etc/readahead.d/default.*`; do rpm -q --queryformat "%{NAME}\n" -f $f 2> /dev/null; done | sort -u

> -jef"First up... the firefox maintainer... where's my eye poking
> stick"spaleta

 The problem is not firefox only. It's pretty generic problem, because
 we have versions filenames for libraries:

 $ grep '/usr/lib/lib.*[0-9].*' /etc/readahead.d/default.*  | wc -l
 136

 It's means almost all things in /etc/readahead.d/default.* could be
 obsolete after an update (except stable things like /bin/*).

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>