I think, rsh is quite obsolete

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Mon Nov 13 16:23:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 12:45:17AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> How do we make it so we don't need to have all the legacy tools that
> we need in Core to feel that our needs are being adequately met? How
> does Extras need to be expanded so that we feel comfortable having
> our critically important legacy tools live there?

What is the current target of Core?  Right now it looks like there is
a push to limit it to the needs of the "home desktop/laptop,
gnome-desktop only, office tools, no cli" crowd.  The windows desktop
crowd, in other words.  Everybody else has to go hit extras.  Is that
by design, or does it just happen?

Maybe the core/extras distinction should go away, to be replaced by a
"make your own core" system.  I have the starts of one, but it would
require a lot of work still.  There could be lists of packages for for
instance:
- base
- gnome desktop
- kde desktop
- other wm/desktops
- legagy X11 apps
- TeX
- parallel/distributed processing
etc...

And then you "just" need some tools to build a repository or an iso
from a bunch of such lists.  Fedora could easily promote a particular
configuration of lists as a "release" and create isos for that one, or
even give a number of choices (gnome desktop, kde desktop, server...).
That would help remove the second class citizen stain that is
currently plagueing extras.

I suspect one big problem would be merging the mirroring for core and
extras into something common, but larger.

  OG.