db4 is now updated to 4.5.20 and compat-db to 4.3.29

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 13 18:27:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 10:55 -0600, chasd wrote:
> > db4 is now updated to 4.5.20, so please if you are a maintainer of a
> > package listed below, which is dependent on it, consider rebuilding
> > ASAP
> > so that I don't break rawhide for too long ;-)
> >
> > If your package is for some *IMPORTANT* reason incompatible with
> > db4.5,
> > you can switch BuildRequires to compat-db, which now contains former
> > rawhide db4-3.29 including header files in %{_includedir}/db4.3.29 so
> > you might want to update your include paths as well. compat-db-4.3.29
> > contains also db-4.2.52 libraries, db-4.1.25 was removed.
>
> <snip>
>
> > p:        libdb-4.3.so <-
> > netatalk-2.0.3-7.fc6 [development]
>
>  From the Netatalk home-
>
> > Netatalk makes use of sleepycats' Berkeley DB. At the time of
> > writing, the following versions are supported:
> >
> > 4.1.25
> > 4.2.52 (recommended)
> <http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/
> installation.html#id2837734>
>
> At least one user is reporting .AppleDB corruption on FC6 in upstream
> mail lists.
> I personally have seen .AppleDB corruption when building netatalk
> against db4 packages older than 4.1.25.
> I will soon be migrating one of our more heavily used file servers
> that runs netatalk to FC6.
>
> I would recommend building development netatalk packages against
> db-4.2.52 to minimize end user .AppleDB corruption.
>
> Upstream moves slowly, so getting a fix there to be compatible with
> new db4 is not likely soon.

Charles, this is the case where you can rebuild your package against
compat-db as it contains headers/libs for db4-2.52. But please don't
rebuild it now as the new db4 is not yet in buildroots. Tomas needs some
time to update pam's internal db4 first.

If you are interested you can test these packages in the meantime:
http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/compat-db-4.3.29-1.fc7.src.rpm
http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/db4-4.5.20-1.fc7.src.rpm

together with this version of pam with the conflict removed:
http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/pam-0.99.6.2-3.noconf.fc7.src.rpm

Jindrich