GPL2 Java?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 13 20:44:12 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Otto Rey <otto_rey at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>>
>> +1 Include Sun JDK in Fedora
>> +1 Move Gcj to Extras
>>

>> From: Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>
>> Keep in mind that bits don't land until March 2007.
>
> Keep in mind that any such actions will have to be in a post fc7
> timeframe if Warren's statement is correct and the re-licensed code
> isn't publically available until March 2007.  A detailed discussion as
> to what to do is a bit premature until we have the re-licensed code in
> hand.  I really think it would be a bad idea to rely on a promise to
> re-license, to make technical decisions which could impact the fc7
> release.  Its enough to know everyone is aware about it and the
> timescales involved. Work on gcj can't stop if Sun's relicensed
> release isn't available soon enough for the fc7 testing timeframe.
>
> -jef"Dates slip...even if Sun is serious this time about open sourcing
> java...you can't count on them holding to a specific date of
> availability this far out in the process"spaleta

Agreed, what is however very interesting is one of the parts released
under the GPL NOW, the hotspot vm, which according to SUN's FAQ:
"Q:
What is the Java HotSpot virtual machine? What can developers do with
this component?
A:
Java HotSpot is Sun's implementation of the Java virtual machine. The
Java HotSpot VM includes the core execution engine for the Java
platform, including:

    * dynamic compilers that convert Java bytecodes into optimized
native machine code on supported hardware platforms
    * memory management and garbage collection subsystems
    * threads and synchronization
    * monitoring, debugging, and profiling telemetry
    * parts of the Java security architecture including the bytecode
verifier"

I'm especially hoping that the "parts of the Java security architecture
including the bytecode verifier" will help us get a gcj-web-plugin for
FC-7.

Regards,

Hans