After power-off booting halts

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Nov 17 07:54:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I started seeing the following with FC5 on
Thinkpad X30:

 - if the laptop is powered off without graceful shutdown (e.g., power
   runs out), the first booting stops after 'recovering journal'
   somewhere around 'mounting filesystems read/write' (the specific
   place is difficult to find out as the boot messages overwrite each
   other). By 'stops' I mean that you the system responds to keys, but
   bootup process doesn't progress (the same as happens for example
   with ntpd start for a while if network isn't up).

 - powering off the system and rebooting again results in a successful
   startup.

The system is up to date wrt updates and updates-testing.  I've seen
this at least with kernel-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 and
kernel-2.6.18-1.2224.fc5, possibly earlier as well.

Anyone else started experiencing something like this?