Make kde 1st class in fedora

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 11:37:53 UTC 2006

As a long time kde and fedora fan, I'd like to promote the idea of making
kde a 1st class part of fedora.  What does this mean, you ask?  Can't the
new user select kde at login?

Yes, they can.  But their desktop is setup with icons and menus that are
missing vital kde components.

If a new desktop is setup with kde, it must have konqueror as the browser
and kmail as the mail client.  These are designed to work nicely together.

In my experience, most new linux users (as most new users on other OSs)
never bother to customize their menus and tool bars.  I see my friends
desktops have kde as window manager, but never heard of kmail, knode, konq
because fedora by default doesn't show them on their menus and desktop.