Make kde 1st class in fedora

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Nov 17 16:04:09 UTC 2006

fre, 17 11 2006 kl. 16:52 +0100, skrev Arjan van de Ven:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 06:37 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> > As a long time kde and fedora fan, I'd like to promote the idea of making
> > kde a 1st class part of fedora.  What does this mean, you ask?  Can't the
> > new user select kde at login?
> >
> > Yes, they can.  But their desktop is setup with icons and menus that are
> > missing vital kde components.
> >
> > If a new desktop is setup with kde, it must have konqueror as the browser
>
> The browser one is funny. I know MANY people who will be upset if it's
> not firefox, period. That has nothing to do with being pro, neutral or
> against KDE, but simple expectation that Firefox is the flag ship open
> source thing for many people (they met it first on Windows and started
> to take open source more serious, now they look at linux), and they
> expect it to be there at least as integrated as the Windows Firefox is.
>
> Firefox also isn't the gnome default browser, but still I think Fedora
> does the right thing to overrule BOTH desktops and give people what they
> want.

Funny as a GNOME user, the first thing I do is replace Firefox with
Epiphany as it integrates better with my desktop. I strongly disagree
with the argument that people move to Fedora thanks to Firefox since I
see no hard evidence for that claim and there are advantages to be had
by going for maximal integration.

So I could definitely see why many KDE users would feel the same way
about Konqi. Luckily this one of those things that will naturally
resolve itself once Core and Extras gets merged, if the community by
then wants KDE to have Konqi as the default then that will happen.

- David